Who Does My Car Insurance Cover?

Who Does My Car Insurance Cover?

The answer may surprise you.

Anyone of driving age who is living in your home for more than 30 days is considered by your insurance company to be an “insured.”  This includes:

  • Your wife even if she owns her own vehicle and has her own insurance.
  • Your son who comes back after college and lives with you for a few months while looking for his own place. He owns his own vehicle and has his own insurance.
  • Your mother-in-law who comes to stay for the winter to help you with your small children while you go to work. She does not own a vehicle.
  • Your dad who has a stroke, needs in home care, and moves in with you for 6 months while recovering. He does not own a vehicle.


These are all examples of relatives living in your household who are considered to be insureds by your insurance company.  Whether they have a vehicle or not does not matter when it comes to your insurance policy.

Before you start thinking how kind it is of your insurance company to cover all of these extra people, especially those going through difficult circumstances, they are not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Notification Required

Any of these people could be a passenger in your vehicle or borrow your vehicle, and as a result they are a potential risk and could expose your insurance company to a claim in the future. Consequently, you are required under your policy to notify your agent of these people living in your household, otherwise your company could deny you coverage in the future even if these people were not in the car at the time you suffered a claim.

It is possible your insurance company could increase your rates to cover any additional people living in your home.

Full Disclosure

Recently we have seen applications for insurance in which they ask for anyone of driving age living in the household. Therefore, it is our advice that you list anyone of driving age regardless if they are a relative or not so that the insurance company does not deem your failure to disclose that person as a material misrepresentation under the policy, and thus deny coverage on that basis.

We have even seen some insurance applications which ask for a listing of all people living in the household. Therefore, it is our recommendation to list everyone in this circumstance regardless of their age and whether they are eligible to drive, or not.

The best rule of thumb is full disclosure to your insurance agent, even though it might cost you more money in premiums, it will protect you under your policy when a future claim needs to

be made.

If you would like to speak with an experienced motor vehicle accident attorney in Trinity, New Port Richey, Spring Hill, Brooksville or Inverness, contact our team at the Law Office of Charles S Philips today!